Before creating the SD-WAN overlay template, the following prerequisites and network planning steps should be completed:
- Import the FortiGate devices that will make up the hub and branch devices into FortiManager. See Add devices.
- Configure the ISP links and other interfaces on your imported devices.
- Create a device group for your branch devices. See Device groups
- Allocate the overlay network address space. By default, the template uses
- Allocate the loopback IP address space. By default, the template uses
- Select an AS number for BGP for the new SD-WAN overlay region. By default, the template uses
For more information, see SD-WAN overlay template IP network design
Note that the overlay template does not provide any SD-WAN intelligence. Please configure an SD-WAN template to complete the SD-WAN configuration. The overlay template also assumes connectivity between the HUB and branch in order to build the overlay tunnels. This can be accomplished in a variety of ways, such as static routes, dynamic routing protocol (BGP) or through a DHCP provided static route.