In previous releases, FortiOS-VM (FortiMeter) instances needed to get services from FortiManager that facilitated updates by tracking service entitlements based on serial numbers starting with FOSVM1. However, if the FortiMeter instance connected directly to Fortinet Distribution Network (FDN), updates were not available since FDN was not aware of serial numbers with prefix FOSVM1.
In the current release, the serial number prefix FOSVM2 was added to FortiOS-VM. When the FortiMeter instance connects directly to FDN, it is now able to receive the updates.
The same serial number will have two different prefixes depending on the situation:
- FortiOS-VM sends the serial numbers with prefix FOSVM2 to FortiManager or FortiGuard for updates and rating service. FOSVM2 is not visible on the FortiManager GUI.
- FortiOS-VM sends the serial numbers with prefix FOSVM1 to FortiManager for management. FOSVM1 is shown on the FortiManager GUI.
- FortiOS-VM in FortiOS Unauthorized Devices list with the serial number prefix FOSVM1
- Authorized FortiOS-VM in FortiOS
- Authorize FortiGuard service to FortiOS-VM. FortiOS checks service license with serial number prefix FOSVM1 while providing service to FOSVM2.