For FortiVoice HA, apply the following planning guidelines:
- Make sure that both FortiVoice units in the HA group are the same model and have the same firmware version. If you are using VM instances, you require two VM licenses.
- For both primary and secondary FortiVoice units:
- Connect port 1 to the network switch.
- Connect port 2 or a secondary port (3, 4, or 5, depending on the model) to the network switch. This port takes on the role of the primary heartbeat interface.
- Plan which interface ports to use for your voice traffic and heartbeat links:
- Decide which port you want to use for your voice traffic, for example port 1.
- Make sure to assign the secondary heartbeat status to port 1.
- Make sure to assign the primary heartbeat status to port 2 (3, 4, or 5, depending on the model).
- FortiVoice HA uses a secondary IP address on the interface ports. This secondary IP address is called a virtual IP address. You configure the primary and secondary units to use this virtual IP address but only the acting primary unit will use it to communicate. Any network traffic that is to be forwarded to the FortiVoice unit can be forwarded to this virtual IP address. If a failover occurs, the secondary unit assumes the role of primary and starts to use the virtual IP address. Your system is then able to continue operating as normal without having to change your port forwarding. For example, the primary unit has an IP address of 192.168.1.200 and the secondary unit has an IP address of 192.168.1.202. The virtual IP address is 192.168.1.210. Both primary and secondary units share this virtual IP address which is also used to receive all port forwarding to the FortiVoice unit.
- Take note of the IP address of each interface port on both FortiVoice units. You will need this information to set up the heartbeat link.
When you are ready to configure HA, go to Configuring high availability on FortiVoice units.
If a failover occurs and you are using FortiVoice 200F8 or FortiVoice 300E-T, remember to swap the physical FXO and PRI connections to the secondary unit.