FortiExtender supports Software-Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN) to provide link load-balancing (LLB) among different links. It provides the following features:
- Virtual interface in system for routing system and firewall.
- Adding targets as members and balancing traffic among them.
- Link Load-balancing (LLB) for WAN interfaces or VPN tunnels.
- LTE interface as members of SD-WAN, or combined with a physical interface as members of SD-WAN.
- Support for multiple LLB algorithms:
- Weighted Round Robin (WRR)
- Redundant algorithm using a SD-WAN member for data transmission based on:
- Two LTE interfaces as members of SD-WAN redundant by cost algorithm:
- The lowest cost target works as primary. When primary fails, the next lowest cost target will take over the primary role (fail-over).
- When a dead primary comes back to life, it will retake the primary role (fail-back).
- The cost of LTE interface is calculated based on the capacity and monthly-fee of the LTE plan.
- When the LTE and physical interface(s) are members of SD-WAN redundant by cost algorithm:
- The physical interface must always be selected as lowest cost target and works as the primary.
This section covers the following topics: