FortiOS CLI reference
This document describes FortiOS 7.2.1 CLI commands used to configure and manage a FortiGate unit from the command line interface (CLI). For information on using the CLI, see the FortiOS 7.2.1 Administration Guide, which contains information such as:
Creation of the CLI reference
The CLI syntax is created by processing the schema from FortiGate models running FortiOS 7.2.1 and reformatting the resultant CLI output. The following reference models were used to create this CLI reference:
- FGT_140E_POE: a POE model with 40 x GE RJ45 (including 24 x RJ45 GE POE/POE+ ports, 14 x switch ports, 1 x MGMT port, 1x HA port, 2 x WAN ports), 2 x GE SFP DMZ slots.
- FWF_61F: a WiFi/desktop model with 10x GE RJ45 ports (including 7x Internal Ports, 2x WAN Ports, 1x DMZ Port), Wireless (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac-W2), 128GB SSD onboard storage.
- FGT_601E: a mid-range model with 2x 240GB SSD storage, NP6 and CP9 acceleration, 2x 10GE SFP+ slots, 8x GE SFP slots and 10x GE RJ45 ports.
- FGT_2201E: a high-end model with 2x 1TB SSD storage, NP6 and CP9 acceleration, dual AC power supplies, 4x 40GE QSFP+ slots, 20x 10GE SFP+ slots and 14x GE RJ45 ports.
- FGT_VM64: a Virtual Machine model running on VMware ESXi.
If you have comments on this content, its format, or requests for commands that are not included, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Availability of commands and options
Some FortiOS CLI commands and options are not available on all FortiGate units. The CLI displays an error message if you attempt to enter a command or option that is not available. You can use the question mark ‘?’ to verify the commands and options that are available.
Commands and options may not be available for the following reasons:
All commands are not available on all FortiGate models. For example, a hardware switch can be configured only on models which have the corresponding hardware switch chipset.
For example, settings like
mediatype would only be available on units with SFPs.
FortiOS Carrier, FortiGate 5K/6K/7K, FortiGate with LTE, etc.
Commands for extended functionality are not available on all FortiGate models. The CLI Reference may not include all commands.
tree to display the entire FortiOS CLI command tree. To capture the full output, connect to your device using a terminal emulation program, such as PuTTY, and capture the output to a log file.
To view all available commands, enter
To view a specific configuration branch of a tree, enter
tree <branch>, for example:
To view all available
To view all available