FortiGates can recognize network traffic generated by a large number of applications. Application control sensors specify what action to take with the application traffic. Application control uses IPS protocol decoders that can analyze network traffic to detect application traffic, even if the traffic uses non-standard ports or protocols. Application control supports traffic detection using the HTTP protocol (versions 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0).
FortiOS includes three preloaded application sensors:
- default (monitors all applications)
- wifi-default (default configuration for offloading WiFi traffic)
You can customize these sensors, or you can create your own to log and manage the applications on your network.
Once configured, you can add the application sensor to a firewall policy.
This functionality requires a subscription to FortiGuard Application Control.
The following topics provide information about application control:
- Basic category filters and overrides
- Excluding signatures in application control profiles
- Port enforcement check
- Protocol enforcement
- SSL-based application detection over decrypted traffic in a sandwich topology
- Matching multiple parameters on application control signatures
- Application signature dissector for DNP3