FortiClient EMS 6.0.2 supports direct upgrades from FortiClient EMS 6.0.0+ and 1.2.4+.
To ensure a successful upgrade, it is recommended you perform the upgrade on a staging server before upgrading the production server. The staging server is a test environment where you can run the latest version of EMS using your own configuration. You can create it before upgrading the production server, then shut it down after successfully upgrading the production server.
For supported upgrade paths, see the FortiClient and FortiClient EMS Upgrade Path.
- Back up the database from the EMS production server.
- Install EMS on the staging server. Ensure this is the same version of EMS as currently installed on the production server.
- Import the EMS database from the production server.
- Connect a few endpoints to the staging server by disconnecting them from the production server, then entering the staging server's EMS IP address in FortiClient on the endpoints. This is for testing purposes; keep most endpoints connected to the production server.
- Close EMS.
- Install EMS 6.0.2 on the staging server using the downloaded installer. You may complete the upgrade using one of the following methods. The installer files can be downloaded from Customer Service & Support.
- Run the full EMS installer as an administrator.
- Run the light EMS installer as an administrator. This installer connects to the FDS to check for, download, and run the latest full EMS installer.
- Monitor EMS performance on the staging server for at least two days, including testing use cases.
- Upgrade the production server to EMS 6.0.2 by repeating step 5 to 7 from the instructions above on the production server.
- If you performed the upgrade on the staging server prior to the production server, do the following after successfully upgrading the production server:
- Disconnect endpoints from the staging server, then connect them to the production server.
- Shut down the staging server.