FortiGate and FortiWiFi-92D hardware limitation
FortiOS 5.4.0 reported an issue with the FG-92D model in the Special Notices > FG-92D High Availability in Interface Mode section of the release notes. Those issues, which were related to the use of port 1 through 14, include:
- PPPoE failing, HA failing to form.
- IPv6 packets being dropped.
- FortiSwitch devices failing to be discovered.
- Spanning tree loops may result depending on the network topology.
FG-92D and FWF-92D do not support STP. These issues have been improved in FortiOS 5.4.1, but with some side effects with the introduction of a new command, which is enabled by default:
set hw-switch-ether-filter <enable | disable>
When the command is enabled:
- ARP (0x0806), IPv4 (0x0800), and VLAN (0x8100) packets are allowed.
- BPDUs are dropped and therefore no STP loop results.
- PPPoE packets are dropped.
- IPv6 packets are dropped.
- FortiSwitch devices are not discovered.
- HA may fail to form depending the network topology.
When the command is disabled:
- All packet types are allowed, but depending on the network topology, an STP loop may result.