Creating the FortiGate instance
To create the FortiGate instance:
- From the newly imported image, click Create Instance.
- Configure the parameters:
- In the Name your instance field, enter the desired name to identify the instance by.
- Under Select an availability domain for your instance, select the desired domain.
- Under Choose instance type, select Virtual Machine.
- Under Choose instance shape, select one of the supported instance shapes. FortiGate-VM supports the Standard1 and Standard2 instance families.
- In the Virtual cloud network field, select a network to launch the instance.
- In the Subnet field, select a subnet on the Internet-facing side of the network.
- Click Show Advanced Options.
- On the Management tab, if you want to add bootstrapping of FortiGate CLI commands and a BYOL license, follow the instructions in (Optional) Bootstrapping FortiGate on the OCI GUI at initial boot-up, then copy and paste all of the text content (CLI commands and license) under User Data. Modify the text as needed.
- On the Networking tab, in the Private IP address field, specify a static IP address within the selected subnet.
- Ensure Assign public IP address is selected so you can access the FortiGate over the Internet. This can be disabled once everything has been configured as desired.
- In the Hostname field, enter the desired name.
- Click Create. Wait until the PROVISIONING… status changes to RUNNING. You can also check the FortiGate’s public IP address in this screen once it becomes available.
At this stage, FortiGate deployment is not complete. You also need to add a storage volume as a system log disk and attach it to the FortiGate instance. If you want FortiGate to run inline across two or multiple subnets, you will also need to add one or more virtual network interfaces and attach them to the FortiGate instance.