Configuring port 1
VM platform or hypervisor management environments include a guest console window. On the FortiGate-VM, this provides access to the FortiGate console, equivalent to the console port on a hardware FortiGate unit. Before you can access the GUI, you must configure FortiGate-VM port1 with an IP address and administrative access.
To configure the port1 IP address:
- In your hypervisor manager, start the FortiGate-VM and access the console window. You may need to press Enter to see a login prompt.
- At the FortiGate-VM login prompt enter the username
admin. By default there is no password. Press Enter.
- Using CLI commands, configure the port1 IP address and netmask:
config system interface
set mode static
set ip 192.168.0.100 255.255.255.0
- To configure the default gateway, enter the following CLI commands:
config router static
set device port1
set gateway <class_ip>
You must configure the default gateway with an IPv4 address. FortiGate-VM needs to access the Internet to contact the FortiGuard Distribution Network (FDN) to validate its license.
- To configure your DNS servers, enter the following CLI commands:
config system dns
set primary <Primary DNS server>
set secondary <Secondary DNS server>
The default DNS servers are