Configure port 1
VM platform or hypervisor management environments include a guest console window. On the FortiGate VM, this provides access to the FortiGate console, equivalent to the console port on a hardware FortiGate unit. Before you can access the GUI, you must configure FortiGate VM port1 with an IP address and administrative access.
To configure the port1 IP address:
- In your hypervisor manager, start the FortiGate VM and access the console window.
You might need to press Enter to see a login prompt.
- At the FortiGate VM login prompt enter the username
admin. By default there is no password. Press Enter.
- Using CLI commands, configure the port1 IP address and netmask. Also, HTTP access must be enabled because until it is licensed the FortiGate VM supports only low-strength encryption. HTTPS access will not work.
config system interface
set ip 192.168.0.100 255.255.255.0
append allowaccess http
You can also use the
append allowaccessCLI command to enable other access protocols, such as
fgfmprotocols are enabled on the
port1interface by default.
- To configure the default gateway, enter the following CLI commands:
config router static
set device port1
set gateway <class_ip>
You must configure the default gateway with an IPv4 address. FortiGate VM needs to access the Internet to contact the FortiGuard Distribution Network (FDN) to validate its license.
- To configure your DNS servers, enter the following CLI commands:
config system dns
set primary <Primary DNS server>
set secondary <Secondary DNS server>
The default DNS servers are