Deploying auto scaling on GCP
You can deploy FortiGate virtual machines (VMs) to support Auto Scaling on Google Cloud Platform ( GCP).
Multiple FortiGate-VM instances can form an Auto Scaling group (ASG) to provide highly efficient clustering at times of high workloads. FortiGate-VM instances will be scaled out automatically according to predefined workload levels. Auto Scaling is achieved by using FortiGate-native high availability (HA) features such as
config-sync, which synchronizes operating system (OS) configurations across multiple FortiGate-VM instances at the time of scale-out events.
FortiGate Autoscale for GCP is available with FortiOS 6.2.3 for On-Demand (PAYG) instances.
The standard deployment contains the following:
- A highly available architecture that spans two Availability Zones (AZs).
- A virtual private cloud (VPC) configured with public and private subnets.
- Cloud NAT.
- An external facing network load balancer.
- An internal facing network load balancer.
- Cloud Functions, which runs Fortinet-provided scripts for running Auto Scaling. Functions are used to handle cluster creation and failover management
- A Firestore database which stores Autoscaling configuration such as primary and secondary IP addresses. Firestore is a nosql database hosted on Google Cloud Platform.
- A managed instance group and an instance template.