Verifying the deployment
FortiGate Autoscale for AWS creates an Auto Scaling group with lifecycle events attached to the group. Verify the following components:
- In the AWS console, select the Services > Management & Governance > CloudFormation.
- On the top right, choose the AWS region where you deployed the template.
- In the Filter box, enter the Stack name you entered in the Specify Details page of the section CFT parameters.
- Look for the stack which has a Description starting with “FortiGate Autoscale Solution (Existing VPC)”. Click the Stack Name for that stack.
- Under Resources, search for the resource with a Logical ID of “FortiGateScalingGroup”. The Physical ID for this resource is a link to the Auto Scaling group. You will need this link to connect to the FortiGate-VM in the section Connecting to the master FortiGate-VM instance.
- Click on that link.
- Check that the number in the Instances column is equal to or greater than the Desired Capacity you specified.
- In the lower pane, click on the Instances tab and check that the Lifecycle of each instance is “InService”.
- Look up the DynamoDB table CustomIdentifier-FortiGateMasterElection-UniqueID.
- CustomIdentifier refers to the template parameter Resource name prefix you specified when filling out the CFT parameters.
- UniqueID refers to a random string automatically generated during the deployment.
- Both are found on the Outputs tab of the stack you located in step 4 when verifying the Auto Scaling group .
- Click the Items tab and double-click the master record.
In the master record,
- instanceId is the instance ID of the master instance of the Auto Scaling group. You will need the instance ID to connect to the FortiGate-VM in the section Connecting to the master FortiGate-VM instance.
- ip refers to its primary private IP address.
- subnetId is the ID of the subnet in which the master FortiGate-VM is located.
voteState is the state of the voting process.
- pending: election of the master instance is still in progress.
- done: the master election process is done.
- vpcId is the ID of the VPC in which the master FortiGate-VM instance is located.
The master election has been completed when the voteState is done.