Devices such as printers, lab hosts, and servers that have not been placed in the Inventory but are connected to managed switches, are created as rogue hosts. If rogue hosts are denied access to the network, they are disabled. Use this option to prevent rogue hosts from being denied access to the network by registering them.
If you select more than one device on the Host View, the IP Address and Physical Address fields will not display on the Register As Device window. If multiple devices are selected and those devices do not have IP addresses, you will not be able to place them in the Inventory using the Register As Device option. You can place those devices in the Host View using the Register As Device option.
A host can be registered as a device from the Host View based on the rogue host record or from the Adapter View based on the adapter record.
- Select Users & Hosts > Hosts or Users & Hosts > Adapters.
- Use the Quick Search or Custom Filter to locate the appropriate record.
- Click the record to select it. Click Edit. If in Users & Hosts > Adapters, right click the record and select Edit Host.
- Click Crreate In and select where this device should be placed. Options include:
- Host View: device is kept in Host View allowing you to track connection history and can be associated with a user.
- Host View and Topology: device is shown in both the Host View and Inventory. You can track connection history and it can be associated with a user, but it cannot be polled.
If the device is an Access Point and you register it in Host View, it is removed from the Host View and moved to Inventory after the first poll. It is also removed from the Concurrent License count once it is recognized as an Access Point.
- Click Device Type and select a type from the drop-down list. The icon associated with the selected device type displays to the right of the drop-down list.
- Click Role and select a role from the drop-down list. Roles are configured on the Roles view. You can also click Add Role to add a role. See Role management.
- Select the container for the device from the drop down list. This is where the device will display in the Inventory. This field is disabled if the device is not being managed in the Inventory.
- The Physical Address field is read-.
- Click OK.