Overview of Version 8.8.1
Version 8.8 is the latest release being made available to customers to provide functionality and address some known issues.
- 8.8.x: When upgrading from a pre-8.8 version to 8.8 or higher, the upgrade may hang if the appliance does not have external FTP access. The upgrade introduces a new local RADIUS server feature that requires additional CenOS patches. The download and installation of the patches occur during the upgrade process. A new .repo file is written in order to download the patches and specifies FTP as the transfer protocol.
Customers that currently do not have a README and want to upgrade themselves should do the following:
- Modify firewall to allow FTP access for the eth0 IP address for each appliance until upgrade is completed
- Once completed, modify the repo files to the desired protocol for future OS updates. For instructions, see section "Change Transfer Protocol to HTTP/HTTPS" in the CentOS Updates document in the Fortinet Document Library.
Customers that currently have a README, do not want to upgrade themselves, or cannot make the temporary firewall change should contact Support to schedule the upgrade.
- Requires access to downloads.bradfordnetworks.com from each appliance or virtual machine. The update automatically installs CentOS files for the new Local Radius Server feature on the Control Server(s). If access is blocked, the software upgrade will fail. The default transfer protocol can be changed from FTP to either HTTPS or HTTP. For instructions, refer to the Appendix of the CentOS Updates (https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortinac/8.3.0/updating-centos) reference manual.
- Prior to upgrade, review the FortiNAC Known Anomalies posted in the Fortinet Document Library.
- If using agents or configured for High Availability, additional steps may be required after upgrade for proper functionality. See Upgrade Instructions and Considerations posted in the Fortinet Document Library.
- Requires CentOS 7.4 or higher. The current CentOS version installed is listed as "Distribution" in the CLI login banner or typing "sysinfo".
Recognized platform: Linux
Distribution: CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core)
If the CentOS version is below 7.4, run OS updates and reboot before upgrading. For instructions on updating CentOS, refer to the Fortinet Document Library.
- For upgrade procedure, see Upgrade Instructions and Considerations posted in the Fortinet Document Library.
The following can be found in the Fortinet Document Library.
- 8.x Fixes and Enhancements Summary
- FortiNAC Release Matrix
These Release Notes contain additional Enhancements, Device Support, and features. Unique numbering is used for the carious components of the product. The software version and Agent version supplied with this release are listed below.
Agent Version: 5.2.4
A newer Persistent Agent may be required to support certain antivirus and anti-spyware products. Refer to the Agent Release Notes in the Fortinet Document Library.
Firmware version represents a collection of system services and operating system features imaged on to the appliance before it leaves manufacturing. The firmware image cannot be updated by a Fortinet customer. Services within the image are updated by Fortinet or a certified Fortinet Partner in appliance maintenance packages released as new more robust and secure versions of services become available.
Note that upgrading software versions does not change firmware nor does it automatically require an upgrade to the Persistent Agent. Newer Persistent Agents are not compatible with older software versions unless that capability is specifically highlighted in the corresponding release notes.