It is necessary to have an accurate representation of a device's interfaces in the Ports tab in Topology View. This option reads the interface information from a modeled device and updates FortiNAC's representation of that device.
The information in the port name (listed under the "Name" column in Port View) is built using switch name, ifName and ifDescription. Ports or interfaces are displayed in the order in which they appear in the interface table on the device. Depending on the device and its configuration, ports may not display in order numerically or alphabetically.
Resync Interfaces only updates the interface status under normal conditions. To enable FortiNAC to update the description as well as port status when Resync Interfaces is run, see "Enable Port Description Overwrite" below for instructions.
Devices that reside in a chassis or those that can be stacked share management between separate boards or stacked units. When boards or units are added, removed, or repositioned within the chassis or stack, it is necessary to have FortiNAC re-read the device to learn of the changes and display an accurate representation. If the port sequence has changed, Resync Interfaces will update index, status and port name.
Example: Chassis modeled in FortiNAC with boards in slots 1, 3 and 4
FortiNAC will re-index if a board is inserted in slot 2
FortiNAC will not re-index if a board is inserted in slot 5
If re-indexing is necessary, FortiNAC deletes and recreates new interface models to represent the re-indexed switch interfaces.
Note: When interface models are deleted and recreated, the manual port grouping done for those interface models is affected. It is recommended to review port groups if a new module has been inserted and Resync Interfaces run.
To access this option:
- Click Network Devices > Topology.
- Right-click on the device and select Resync Interfaces.
- Click Yes on the confirmation dialog to continue.
Enable Port Description Overwrite
Port descriptions in Topology View are updated if the port descriptions on the actual switch
have changed. Updates occur when one of the following is done:
- FortiNAC services are restarted.
- Resync Interfaces is run on the device model (either manually or through a scheduled task).
This function is enabled via the appliance CLI and is persistent through upgrades. Contact Support if assistance is required.
Option 1: Per Device
- Issue the below command to allow updating of the port descriptions in Topology on a per device basis:
- Right click on switch model in Topology and select "Resync Interfaces" to update the Port Descriptions.
Option 2: Globally (Every Device)
- Edit the /bsc/campusMgr/master_loader/.masterPropertyFile file and add the following lines:
- Restart processes for changes to take effect. This will update the port descriptions in Topology View for every device.