Devices such as printers, lab hosts, and servers that have not been placed in the Topology but are connected to managed switches, are created as rogue hosts. If rogue hosts are denied access to the network, they are disabled. Use this option to prevent rogue hosts from being denied access to the network by registering them.
If you select more than one device on the Host View, the IP address and Physical Address fields will not display on the Register As Device window. If multiple devices are selected and those devices do not have IP addresses, you will not be able to place them in the Topology View using the Register As Device option. You can place those devices in the Host View using the Register As Device option.
A host can be registered as a device from the Host View based on the rogue host record or from the Adapter View based on the adapter record.
- Select Hosts > Host View or Hosts > Adapter View.
- Use the Quick Search or Custom Filter to locate the appropriate record.
- Click the record to select it. Right-click or click Options and select Register as Device.
Click Manage In and select where this device should be placed. Options include:
- Device in Host View—device is kept in Host View allowing you to track connection history and can be associated with a user.
- Device in Topology—device is moved to Topology and removed from Host View. Device can be polled and contact status can be monitored.
- Device in Host View and Topology—device is shown in both the Host View and Topology View. You can track connection history and it can be associated with a user, but it cannot be polled.
If the device is an Access Point and you register it in Host View, it is removed from the Host View and moved to Topology View after the first poll. It is also removed from the Concurrent License count once it is recognized as an Access Point.
- Click Device Type and select a type from the drop-down list. The icon associated with the selected device type displays to the right of the drop-down list.
- Click Role and select a role from the drop-down list. Roles are configured on the Roles View. You can also click the Add Role button to add a role. See Role management.
- Select the container for the device from the drop down list. This is where the device will display in the Topology view. This field is disabled if the device is not being managed in the Topology view.
- Enter the IP address for the device. IP address is required for devices being managed in the Topology view.
- This field does not display if the Manage In field is set to something other than Device In Topology or if you have selected more than one device. If you have selected more than one device and those devices do not already have IP addresses you cannot add them to the Topology View.
- The Physical Address field is read-only and displays only when one of the Topology View options is selected in the Manage In field.
- Click OK.