FortiNAC maintains a model of each device it manages in the database. Those database models of physical devices contain information about how to communicate with the device, what VLANs should be used for isolation, which RADIUS server should be used for authentication and what the communication protocol is.
Device-specific information varies by vendor. You can set and store some configuration parameters globally across a specific vendor’s devices by using FortiNAC’s Global Model Configuration option. This window can be accessed from the Topology View and from the Network Devices window.
When configuring the device itself, use only letters, numbers and hyphens (-) in names for items within the device configuration, in security strings and in SNMP credentials. Other characters may prevent FortiNAC from reading the device configuration. For example, in many cases the # sign is interpreted by FortiNAC as a prompt. Cisco restricts the use of @ and #.
- Click Network Devices > Topology.
- Expand the Container icon.
- Right-click on a device manufactured by the vendor of the group of devices to be configured, select the device name, and then click Global Model Configuration.
- On the Global Model Configuration window use Ctrl-Click to select one or more devices from the list in the Select Devices section.
Select one of the Save options:
- Save all values for selected device models saves all data that is displayed on the configuration window to the models in the database for all devices that have been selected. For example, if you have created a model in the database for one device and would like to create the same model for several others, you could go to Network Devices, right-click on the "copy from" device and select Global Model Configuration. The values for the selected device are displayed. Then, select additional devices for which you want to create models. Click the Save All values option and all of the device models will be saved with the same information as the first one.
- Save only changed values for selected device models saves only those fields that have been modified to the models in the database for all devices that have been selected. For example, if you have set the user names and passwords on several of your switches to be the same, those modifications must be entered in the model configuration stored in the database to allow FortiNAC to communicate with the devices. Updating the user names and passwords can be done all at once by selecting multiple devices of the same brand, entering the new user name and password and choosing the Save only changed values.
- The information entered in the configuration is model-specific. See Settings for information on each field that you can configure.
If you have chosen to Save all values, every field is copied exactly as it displays to the model configuration record of each of the selected devices, including blank fields. A warning is displayed.
If you have chosen to Save only changed values, only the fields highlighted in orange will be saved to the model configuration record of each of the selected devices. A warning is displayed.