Comparing different configuration files
You can compare the changes or differences between two versions of a configuration file by using the Diff function.
The Diff function behaves differently under certain circumstances.
For example, when a device is first added to the FortiManager system, the FortiManager system gets the configuration file directly from the FortiGate unit and stores it as is. This configuration file is version/ID 1.
If you make changes to the device configuration in Device Manager and select Commit, the new configuration file is saved as version/ID 2. If you use the Diff icon to view the changes/differences between version/ID 1 and version/ID 2, you will be shown more changes than you have made.
This happens because the items in the file version/ID 1 are ordered as they are on the FortiGate unit. Configurations of version/ID 2 are sequenced differently when they are edited and committed in Device Manager. Therefore, when you compare version/ID 1 and version/ID 2, the Diff function sees every item in the configuration file as changed.
If you take version/ID 2, change an item and commit it, the tag is changed to version/ID 3. If you use Diff with version/ID 2 and version/ID 3, only the changes that you made are shown. This is because version/ID 2 and version/ID 3 have both been sequenced in the same way in Device Manager.
To compare different configuration files:
- Go to the device database. See Displaying the device database.
- In the device database, go to Dashboard > Summary.
- Locate the Configuration and Installation widget.
- In the Total Revisions row, click the Revision History button.
The Configuration Revision History dialog box is displayed.
- Select a revision, and click Revision Diff in the toolbar.
- In the Compare Database <name> Against section, select another version for the diff.
- In the Diff Output section, select Show Full File Diff, Show Diff Only, or Capture Diff to a Script.
Show Full File Diff shows the full configuration file and highlights all configuration differences.
Show Diff Only shows only configuration differences.
Capture Diff to a Script downloads the diff to a script.
- Click Apply.
If you selected show diff, the configuration differences are displayed in colored highlights. If you selected capture to a script, the script is saved in your downloads folder.