The dashboard icons allow you to monitor the status and health of the access points. The following icons are available on the dashboard.
Click this icon to view the location of an access point in the heat map. This option is disabled if the access point is not placed on the floor map.
Click this icon to view the Spectrum Analyzer, see Spectrum Analyzer.
|Click this icon to configure VLAN probe on FortiGate controllers only, see VLAN Probe.|
The Spectrum Analyzer Dashboard screen presents the interference information gathered from various radios. It provides a graphical representation of the interference devices activity in the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz spectrum.
Select the channels to be scanned and configure. The spectrum analyzer result displays widgets with the type of interference, signal strength, impacted channels, and spectrum current utilization, start and end time and duration of the interference. It classifies non-WiFi interferences to easy identification of the source.
- You can select the AP, Radio, and Channels to be scanned for interferences.
- The Scan Duration can be set to 1, 5, 30, 60 minutes or Infinite. When Infinite is selected the scan is performed till it is manually stopped.
- The Sampling Interval and the number of Spectrogram Samples cannot be modified.
Select Start and the GUI periodically polls the spectrum analysis data based on the fixed sampling interval of 1000 milliseconds.
Data is visualized as 4 charts representing signal interference marking the noise levels for each channel, signal interference spectrogram representing 60 samples for different channels at specific time intervals, the duty cycle charts marking the extent to which a non-WiFi device/neighbouring AP is interfering, and the duty cycle spectrogram representing 60 such duty samples for each channel over a period of time.
The tabular data for non-WiFi interference displays the time and frequency of last detection and any of the following type interference.
- Microwave Oven
- Video Bridge
- Wi-Fi, DSSS cordless phone
- Bluetooth, FHSS cordless phone
- FAP-U models support Spectrum Analyzer only if the radio is configured in Dedicated Monitor mode.
- FAP models support Spectrum Analyzer in AP mode and Dedicated Monitor mode; in the AP mode, the radio scans only operating channels.
- FAP-U43xEV supports Spectrum Analyzer only on radio 3 configured in the Dedicated Monitor mode.
VLAN probe feature enables FortiAPs to probe connected VLANs and subnets. It sends DHCP probes from the FortiAP’s Ethernet interface to specific VLANs on the wired interface and returns information on their availability and subnet details. This helps diagnose and troubleshoot WiFi deployment issues.
- Probe Retries: Configure the number of retries before timeout. The valid range is 1 to 10 with a default value of 10.
- Timeout: Configure the timeout for the VLAN probe. The valid range is 1 – 60 seconds with a default value of 5 seconds.
- VLAN Range: Select the range of VLANs to probe. The valid range is 1 -4094.
Select Start and VLAN probe is initiated as per configurations.