The default administrator account named admin has an empty password by default. You can use this account to log in to a new FortiManager device or to log in to a FortiManager device after completing a factory reset.
After you log in to FortiManager for the first time by using the admin account, the system requests a password change. A password change is also required when you log in for the first time after completing a factory reset. You must change the password before you can complete logging in.
To perform a factory reset and change the admin password:
- Reset the FortiManager device to factory settings by running the following command
execute reset all-except-ip.
- After the system boots up, log on by using the admin account with no password.
The Change Password dialog box is displayed, requiring you to change the password.
- Specify a new password, and click OK.
The password is changed, and you are logged in to FortiManager.
To retain the default the admin password after upgrading FortiManager by using the GUI:
- Before upgrading FortiManager, ensure that the admin account has no password.
- Upgrade FortiManager to version 6.2.2 or later.
- Use the admin account with no password to log in to FortiManager.
You can use the GUI or CLI to log in.
Because the password for the admin account was empty before the upgrade, FortiManager does not require you to change the password to non-empty one.