To enable email users to send email through the FortiMail unit using an email client, the administrator must:
- Create an access control rule that permits valid email clients to connect. For details, see Configuring access control rules.
- Create an authentication profile to authenticate the users. For details, see Configuring authentication profiles.
- Enable SMTP authentication in the incoming recipient-based policy. For details, see Controlling email based on sender and recipient addresses.
The email user must configure their email client with:
- outgoing SMTP email server that is either the FortiMail unit (gateway mode) or the protected SMTP server (transparent mode)
- enabled SMTP authentication
- user name and password (provided by the administrator; these credentials must mast the ones retrieved by the authentication profile)
- authentication that includes the domain name, such as email@example.com instead of user1