To use the email archiving feature, you must do the following:
- Create email archive accounts to send archived email to. See Configuring email archiving accounts.
- Create email archive policies or exemption policies to specify the archiving criteria. See Configuring email archiving policies and Configuring email archiving exemptions. Or, when creating antispam action profiles and content action profiles, choose to archive email as one of the actions. See Configuring antispam profiles and antispam action profiles and Configuring content profiles and content action profiles.
- Assign the administrator account access privilege to the email archive. See Configuring administrator accounts and access profiles.
- You can search or view the archived email as the FortiMail administrator. See Managing archived email. You can also access email archives remotely through IMAP. See Configuring email archiving accounts.
- If you are archiving the MicroSoft Exchange Journaling email, you must specify the journaling source first. See Archiving email from Microsoft Exchange journaling.
Starting from version 4.2, you can create multiple archive accounts and send different categories of email to different accounts. For the maximum number of archive accounts you can create, see Appendix B: Maximum Values.