Since different types of log files record different events/activities, the same SMTP session (with one or more email messages sent during the session) or the same email message may be logged in different types of log files. For example, if the FortiMail units detects a virus in an email messages, this event will be logged in the following types of log files:
- History log: because the history log records the metadata of all sent and undelivered email messages.
- AntiVirus log: because a virus is detected. The antivirus log has more descriptions of the virus than the history log does.
- Event log: because the FortiMail system’s antivirus process has been started and stopped.
To find and display all log messages triggered by the same SMTP session or the same email message, you can use the cross-search feature.
The cross-search searches log files recorded five minutes before and after the log entry (this design is for performance purpose). Therefore, the search may cover multiple log files but may not cover all the related log files if any log files are recorded out of the ten minutes interval.
- Go to Monitor > Log.
- When viewing a log message with a Session ID (any tab except System Event), right-click the log message. From the pop-up menu, select:
- Cross Search (Session) to search for the log messages triggered by the same SMTP session. This may result in multiple email messages if multiple messages were sent in the same SMTP session.
- Cross Search (Message) to search for the log messages triggered by the same email message.
You can also click the session ID of the log message to search for the log messages triggered by the same SMTP session. This is equivalent to the Cross Search (Session) pop-up menu.
All correlating history, event, antivirus and antispam log messages will appear in a new tab.