FortiGate Cloud is a hosted security management and log retention service for FortiGate devices. It provides centralized reporting, traffic analysis, configuration management, and log retention without the need for additional hardware or software.
FortiGate Cloud offers a wide range of features:
Simplified central management
FortiGate Cloud provides a central GUI to manage individual or aggregated FortiGate and FortiWiFi devices. Adding a device to the FortiGate Cloud management subscription is straightforward. FortiGate Cloud has detailed traffic and application visibility across the whole network.
Hosted log retention with large default storage allocated
Log retention is an integral part of any security and compliance program, but administering a separate storage system is onerous. FortiGate Cloud takes care of this automatically and stores the valuable log information in the cloud. Each device is allowed up to 200GB of log retention storage. Different types of logs can be stored, including Traffic, System Events, Web, Applications, and Security Events.
Monitoring and alerting in real time
Network availability is critical to a good end-user experience. FortiGate Cloud enables you to monitor your FortiGate network in real time with different alerting mechanisms to pinpoint potential issues. Alerting mechanisms can be delivered via email.
Customized or pre-configured reporting and analysis tools
Reporting and analysis are your eyes and ears into your network’s health and security. Pre-configured reports are available, as well as custom reports that can be tailored to your specific reporting and compliance requirements. The reports can be emailed as PDFs, and can cover different time periods.
Maintain important configuration information uniformly
The correct configuration of the devices within your network is essential for maintaining optimum performance and security posture. In addition, maintaining the correct firmware (operating system) level allows you to take advantage of the latest features.
All communication (including log information) between the devices and the cloud is encrypted. Redundant data centers are always used to give the service high availability. Operational security measures have been put in place to make sure your data is secure — only you can view or retrieve it.
Before you can activate a FortiGate Cloud account, you must first register your device.
FortiGate Cloud accounts can be registered manually through the FortiGate Cloud website, https://www.forticloud.com, or you can easily register and activate your account directly from your FortiGate.
- On your device, go to Dashboard > Status.
- In the FortiGate Cloud widget, click the Not Activated > Activate button in the Status field.
- A pane will open asking you to register your FortiGate Cloud account. Click Create Account, enter your information, view and accept the terms and conditions, and then click OK.
- A second dialogue window open , asking you to enter your information to confirm your account. This sends a confirmation email to your registered email. The dashboard widget then updates to show that confirmation is required.
- Open your email, and follow the confirmation link it contains.
A FortiGate Cloud page will open, stating that your account has been confirmed. The Activation Pending message on the dashboard will change to state the type of account you have, and will provide a link to the FortiGate Cloud portal.
- Go to Security Fabric > Fabric Connectors > Cloud Logging or Log & Report > Log Settings.
- Enable Cloud Logging.
- Select an upload option: Realtime, Every Minute, or Every 5 Minutes (default).
- Click Apply.
Once logging has been configured and you have registered your account, you can log into the FortiGate Cloud portal and begin viewing your logging results. There are two methods to reach the FortiGate Cloud portal:
- If you have direct network access to the FortiGate:
- Go to Dashboard > Status.
- In the FortiGate Cloud widget, in the Status field, click Activated > Launch Portal, or, in the Licenses widget, click FortiCare Support > Launch Portal.
- If you do not have access to the FortiGate’s interface, visit the FortiGate Cloud website (https://www.forticloud.com) and log in remotely, using your email and password. It will ask you to confirm the FortiGate Cloud account you are connecting to and then you will be granted access.
FortiGate Cloud can be used for automated sample tracking, or sandboxing, for files from a FortiGate. This allows suspicious files to be sent to be inspected without risking network security. If the file exhibits risky behavior, or is found to contain a virus, a new virus signature is created and added to the FortiGuard antivirus signature database.
- Go to Security Fabric > Fabric Connectors and double-click the FortiSandbox card.
- For status, click Enable.
- Set the Type to FortiSandbox Cloud.
By default, the FortiSandbox Cloud option is not visible. See Feature visibility for instructions on making it visible.
- Select the FortiSandbox cloud region.
- Click OK.
Sandboxing results are shown on the Sandbox tab in the FortiGate Cloud portal.
For more information about FortiGate Cloud, see the FortiGate Cloud documentation.