Firmware images for all FortiGate units are available on the Fortinet Customer Service & Support website.
- Log into the support site with your user name and password.
- Go to Download > Firmware Images.
A list of Release Notes is shown. If you have not already done so, download and review the Release Notes for the firmware version that you are upgrading your FortiGate unit to.
Select the Download tab.
- Navigate to the folder for the firmware version that you are upgrading to.
- Find your device model from the list. FortiWiFi devices have file names that start with FWF.
- Click HTTPS in the far right column to download the firmware image to your computer.
Firmware can also be downloaded using FTP, but as FTP is not an encrypted file transferring protocol, HTTPS downloading is recommended.
Official FortiOS firmware images are signed by the Fortinet CA. The BIOS checks the validity of an image when it is uploaded to the device. If the image is not signed by the Fortinet CA, a warning message is shown in the GUI.
This feature is implemented on all FortiGate F-series models and E-series models released in 2019 and later.