FortiGate Security Processing (SP) modules, such as the SP3 but also including the XLP, XG2, XE2, FE8, and CE4, work at both the interface and system level to increase overall system performance by accelerating specialized security processing. You can configure the SP to favor IPS over firewall processing in hostile high-traffic environments.
SP processors include their own IPS engine which is similar to the FortiOS IPS engine but with the following limitations:
- The SP IPS engine does not support SSL deep inspection. When you have SSL deep inspection enabled for a security policy that includes flow-based inspection or IPS, offloading to the SP is disabled and traffic is processed by the FortiGate CPU and CP processors.
- The SP IPS engine does not support FortiGuard Web Filtering. When you enable flow-based FortiGuard Web Filtering on a FortiGate unit with an SP processor, the SP processor cannot perform FortiGuard lookups and web pages fail to load.
The following security processors are available:
- The SP3 (XLP) is built into the FortiGate 5101B and provides IPS acceleration. No special configuration is required. All IPS processing, including traffic accepted by IPv4 and IPv6 traffic policies and IPv4 and IPv6 DoS policies is accelerated by the built-in SP3 processors.
- The FMC-XG2 is an FMC module with two 10Gb/s SFP+ interfaces that can be used on FortiGate 3950B and FortiGate 3951B units.
- The FortiGate 3140B also contains a built-in XG2 using ports 19 and 20.
- The ADM-XE2 is a dual-width AMC module with two 10Gb/s interfaces that can be used on FortiGate 3810A and FortiGate 5001A-DW systems.
- The ADM-FE8 is a dual-width AMC module with eight 1Gb/s interfaces that can be used with the FortiGate 3810A.
- The ASM-CE4 is a single-width AMC module with four 10/100/1000 Mb/s interfaces that can be used on FortiGate 3016B and FortiGate 3810A units.
Traffic is blocked if you enable IPS for traffic passing over inter-VDOM links if that traffic is being offloaded by an SP processor. If you disable SP offloading, traffic will be allowed to flow. You can disable offloading in individual firewall policies by disabling
config ips global
set np-accel-mode none
set cp-accel-mode none