This section describes how to use the sliding rails included with your FortiGate-6000F package to install the FortiGate-6000F in a 4-post rack.
The FortiGate-6000F is shipped with a left and a right rail assembly. Each rail assembly includes an inner rail, a middle rail, and an outer rail. The inner rail attaches to the side of the FortiGate-6000F. The middle rail remains attached to the outer rail which attaches to the rack. The middle rail is used to guide the inner rail into the outer rail.
When mounted on the rails and fully slid into the rack, the FortiGate-6000F locks into place. You can press the system release buttons that project out of the front of the rack to unlock the rails and slide the FortiGate-6000F out.
No tools are required to install the rails and the FortiGate-6000F. Once the FortiGate-6000F is slid into the rack you can use a screw driver to install four rack screws to secure the FortiGate-6000F in the rack.
There are three steps to use the sliding rails to install the FortiGate-6000F in a four-post the rack:
- Attach the right and left inner rails to the right and left sides of the FortiGate-6000F.
- Attach the right and left outer rails to the right and left rack posts.
- Slide the FortiGate-6000F into the rack.
As a supplement to the instructions below, you can view the following video:
Tabs, holes, and clips on the right inner rail
Attaching the inner rails to the FortiGate-6000F
Use the following steps to install the right inner rail and then repeat them for the left inner rail.
Remove the FortiGate-6000F from its packaging and place it on a flat surface.
For example, on a lifting device in front of the rack that it will be installed into.
Remove the right rail assembly from the packaging, and begin sliding the right inner rail out of it.
Unlock the right inner rail release tab to release the inner rail and slide it completely out of its rail assembly.
Locate the four rail hooks on the right side of the FortiGate-6000F and the corresponding holes on the inner rail.
Align the holes with the hooks and press the hooks into the holes to attach the right inner rail to the right side of the FortiGate-6000F.
Slide the inner rail towards the front of the FortiGate-6000F until the inner rail metal clip clicks, locking the rail onto the side of the FortiGate-6000F.
- Repeat these steps to attach the left inner rail to the left side of the FortiGate-6000F.
Attaching the outer rails to the rack
The ends of outer rails wrap around the inside edge of the rack posts and the mounting pins click into place.
- Align the front of right outer rail with the right front post of the rack.
- Push the front mounting pins into the rack post holes.
- Pull the securing plate over the rack post and close it to lock the pins in place.
- Pull out the bracket on the back of the right outer rail to adjust its position until it matches up with the back post of the rack.
- Verify that the rail is level, then push the rear mounting pins into the rack post holes.
Repeat these steps for the left outer rail. Make sure it is installed at the same height as the right outer rail.
Sliding the FortiGate-6000F into the rack
Now that the inner and outer rails are attached, you can slide the FortiGate-6000F into the rack by matching the inner rails with the outer rails.
Verify that the inner rail holes are properly connected to the FortiGate-6000F hooks and locked into place.
Verify that the outer rails are level, both at the same height, and securely attached to the rack.
Pull the middle rails out from the front of the outer rails until they lock into place.
- Use a lifting device to raise the FortiGate-6000F to allow you to align the inner rails with the middle rails.
Slide the inner rails into the middle rails until the lock out tabs on the inner rails click into the front of the middle rails. Keep the rails aligned and apply even pressure to both sides of the FortiGate-6000F while doing this.
Slide the release tabs forward on both inner rails at the same time.
Push the FortiGate-6000F all the way into the rack until the system release buttons click into the locked position on the front of the rack.
Use a screw driver to install four rack screws into the handle brackets on the front of the FortiGate-6000F to secure it in the rack.
Removing the FortiGate-6000F from a four-post rack
Make sure that a lifting device is available to slide the FortiGate-6000F on to when removing it from the rack. You will need a screwdriver to remove the four rack screws.
The rack must be stable before sliding the FortiGate-6000F out. Failure to stabilize the rack may cause it to tip over.
Do not pick up the FortiGate-6000F by the front handles. They are designed to pull the FortiGate-6000F from the rack on the rails.
- Power down the FortiGate-6000F and remove all cables connected to it.
- Remove the four rack screws to allow the FortiGate-6000F to slide out of the rack.
- Squeeze the system release buttons on the front of both inner rails at the same time to release the FortiGate-6000F.
- Use the front handles to pull the FortiGate-6000F out of the rack until the rails lock in their fully extended position.
- Raise the lifting device under the FortiGate-6000F.
Slide the system lock out tabs forward on both inner rails, and slowly slide the FortiGate-6000F away from the rack and onto the lifting device.
Apply even pressure to both sides of the FortiGate-6000F while doing this. As you slide the FortiGate-6000F out, the inner rails will slide out of the middle rails.
Push the middle rail latch counter clockwise, and slide the middle rails back into the outer rails.
- Push the metal clip on each inner rail toward the front of the FortiGate-6000F to release the inner rails from the hooks on the side of the FortiGate-6000F and remove the inner rails.