FortiExtender supports FortiGate-FortiExtender zero-touch provisioning (ZTP). The FortiExtender default discovery mode is set to auto with DHCP server enabled over the LAN interface. The process is outlined stepwise as follows:
- A SIM card without a PIN code is expected to be used for ZTP, and the default APN should be retrieved automatically at first connection.
- Acting as a DHCP client, the FortiGate connects to the FortiExtender LAN port (1, 2, or 3) interface to obtain a private IP to reach FortiManager.
- The FortiGate reports the discovered FortiExtender to FortiManager to authorize it (FortiExtender).
- Once authorized, the FortiExtender switches to IP-passthrough mode and then reboots itself.
- Upon booting up in IP-passthrough mode, the FortiExtender serves as the FortiExtender WAN interface of the FortiGate.