Use the Deception > Deployment Wizard page to create and deploy Decoy VMs on your network. Decoy VMs appear as real endpoints to hackers and can collect valuable information about attacks.
- Go to Deception > Deployment Wizard.
- Click + to add a Decoy VM.
- Configure the following:
Specify the name of the deployment profile. Maximum 15 characters using A‑Z, a-z, 0-9, dash, or underscore. No duplicate profile names.
Available Deception OSes
Select a Deception OS. The OS you select determines the services that are available.
Displays the services available for the Deception OS you selected.
Services for Windows include RDP, SMB, and TCPLISTENER.
Services for SCADA include HTTP, FTP, TFTP, SNMP, MODBUS, S7COMM, BACNET, IPMI, TRICONEX, GUARDIAN-AST, and IEC104.
Select one or more tag names to automate lure generation and to generate related contents. Selecting any and all generate random content.
Click Generate Lures to automatically generate lures and list them in the panes below.
Click Clear to delete the lures on this page.
- If applicable, click Add Lure for the service and configure the following:
Specify the username for the decoy. Maximum 19 characters using A-Z, a-z, or 0-9.
Do not set the username of the lures to be the same as existing usernames in the decoy, such as administrator for RDP/SMB services on Windows, or root for SSH/SAMBA services on Linux.
Specify the password for the decoy in 1-14 non-unicode characters.
This option is only available for SAMBA (Ubuntu) or SMB (Windows). Specify a Sharename in 3-63 characters using A-Z, a-z, or 0-9.
Update or Cancel
Click Update to save the username and password. Click Cancel to discard the username and password. Click Delete to delete an existing lure.
- To launch the decoy VM immediately, enable Launch Immediately.
- To reset the decoy VM after it detects incidents, enable Reset Decoy and specify the Reset Interval value in seconds.
- Click Next.
- Specify the DNS and Hostname. The Hostname can start with an English character or a digit, and must not end with a hyphen. Maximum 15 characters using A-Z, a-z, 0-9, or hyphen (case-sensitive). Other symbols, punctuation, or white space are not allowed. The Hostname cannot conflict with decoy names.
- Click Add Interface.
- Select the Deploy Interface. Set this to the VLAN or subnet added in Set up the Deployment Network
- Configure the following settings in the Add Interface for Decoy pane:
Select Static or DHCP.
DHCP allows the decoys to receive IP address from the DHCP server. If you select DHCP, IP Count is automatically set to 1 and all other fields are not applicable.
This field is set automatically.
Specify the gateway.
Specify the number of IP addresses to be assigned, up to 16.
If Addressing Mode is DHCP, IP Count is automatically set to 1.
The minimum IP address in the IP range.
The maximum IP address in the IP range.
Specify the IP range between Min and Max.
- Click Done.
- To deploy the decoys on the network, click Deploy.
- To save this as a template in Deception > Deployment Wizard, click Template.