The FortiClient EMS installation also installs Microsoft SQL Server Express, which has a file size limit of 10 GB per database. Log entries recorded in the database are rotated on a schedule of seven days (one week) by default. If the FortiClient deployment is large, the database size may reach the 10 GB limit over time. You may upgrade the default SQL Server installation from Express to Standard or Enterprise edition. The database file size limit for these editions is in the PB range, which is unlimited for most practical usage. When managing more than 5000 endpoints, installing SQL Server Standard or Enterprise instead of SQL Server Express is recommended.
See the following Microsoft documentation on upgrading between editions called Upgrade to a Different Edition of SQL Server (Setup).
The EMS database is saved in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.FCEMS\MSSQL\DATA\FCM_root.mdf file in the EMS host server. This file's size should remain below the 10 GB limit for Microsoft SQL Server Express.
Upgrading a database edition outside normal production hours is recommended.
The minimum SQL Server version that FortiClient EMS supports is 2017.
- Attach the SQL Server 2017 installation media to the FortiClient EMS server. The installation media is a DVD or ISO file. If using the DVD, insert the DVD into the EMS host computer (host server). If your host server is a virtual machine, use the ISO file.
- Run the SQL Server setup application wizard.
- In the SQL Server Installation Center wizard, go to Installation > Upgrade from a previous version of SQL Server.
- Enter the product key.
- Accept the license terms, then click Next.
- Under Select Instance, in the Specify the instance of SQL Server dropdown list, select FCEMS. Then, click Next.
- Under Ready to upgrade edition, click Upgrade.
- After the upgrade completes, click Finish.
Running a short test on FortiClient EMS after the upgrade to verify proper operations is recommended. A simple test may be to:
- Connect FortiClient on one or two test endpoints to FortiClient EMS.
- Create a new custom group in FortiClient EMS and add the test endpoints to it.
- Create new endpoint profiles.
- Create a new endpoint policy that is configured with the newly created profiles. Assign the policy to the new custom group.
- Check that FortiClient on the test endpoints received the new profile.
Monitor the system closely over the first few days for any unusual behavior.