You can simply and efficiently move configurations, data, and endpoint connections between EMS instances without disrupting FortiClient endpoint functionality. This document describes migrating one EMS on-premise environment to another. This migration requires the following:
- The EMS version in both environments is 6.4.3 GA or a later version.
- FortiClient for all supported endpoint platforms (Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS) are connected before, during, and after migration.
- You have fully configured EMS and generated data such as logs and events before starting the migration.
- Licensing on the two EMS instances is similar, if not the same, in terms of the number of seats, entitlement, license types, and duration.
This guide refers to the EMS instance that you are migrating from as "EMS A". It refers to the EMS instance that you are migrating to as "EMS B".
- Install and license EMS B as Installation and licensing describes.
- Back up the EMS A database as To back up the database: describes.
- Restore the database on EMS B as To restore the database: describes.
- Migrate the FortiClient endpoints. This migration process supports all FortiClient endpoint platforms, except Chromebook:
- On EMS A, go to Endpoints.
- Select the desired endpoints to migrate.
- Select Action > Switch EMS > Choose a Different IP.
In the dialog, enter the EMS B FQDN or IP address. Once the migration begins, the Connections column on the Endpoints pane in EMS B for the selected endpoints displays as Migrating. Events may not display immediately on the Endpoints pane in EMS B, but are present in the database. Endpoints that are offline when you apply the Choose a Different IP action migrate when they reconnect to EMS A.
- Shut down EMS A.
- For any remaining endpoints that have not been migrated, manually connect them to EMS B by entering the EMS B IP address on the Zero Trust Telemetry tab. See Connecting FortiClient Telemetry after installation.
- Monitor EMS B services and system performance to ensure stability.
- Chromebook: The migration does not support migration for Chromebook endpoints.