FortiGate and EMS
The version of FortiOS and EMS affects how on-net, off-net, or online status is determined.
FortiClient 6.0.8 with FortiGate and EMS 6.0.0 and later
When FortiClient 6.0.8 with FortiGate and EMS 6.0.0 and later, FortiClient calculates on-net/off-net information. The following examples show how FortiClient determines the endpoint status.
- The endpoint has an on-net status when the endpoint is behind a FortiGate and receives option 224 with the FortiGate serial number. In this case, FortiGate is the DHCP server, and FortiGate checks that the serial number matches its own serial number.
- If option 224 is not received or there is no match with the currently registered serial number, FortiClient determines on-net/off-net status based on the DHCP on-net/off-net setting in EMS. See EMS only.
- Otherwise, FortiClient determines on-net/off-net status based on the on-net subnets received from EMS. See EMS only.
- FortiClient sends the determined on-net/off-net status to EMS.
FortiClient 6.0.8 with FortiGate and EMS versions prior to 6.0.0
- FortiGate determines the on-net/off-net status. See FortiGate only.
- FortiClient sends the on-net/off-net status to EMS.