To enjoy the latest enhancements to EMS, you must ensure that you are using the latest version of EMS. This procedure describes the process of migrating a production environment from one server to another server.
For this use case, the following is assumed:
- You have full access to the following infrastructure:
- Current EMS production server (referred to as "Server A")
- A second server with similar capabilities as the EMS production server (referred to as "Server B")
- FortiClient endpoints available for testing purposes
- There is network connectivity between the infrastructure components listed above.
- You have configured EMS according to the FortiClient EMS Administration Guide.
- Endpoints have FortiClient installed and are currently being managed by Server A.
This use case describes the process of migrating an EMS 1.2.5 production server environment from Server A to Server B. In this example, Server A's IP address is 10.200.200.11, and Server B's IP address is 10.200.200.15. The domain name is ems.example.com.
The procedure is as follows:
- Ensure that the prerequisites are met. See Checking the Prerequisites.
- Install EMS on Server B. See Installing EMS on Server B.
- Back up the EMS database from Server A, then restore the database on Server B. Change the configuration as required on Server B. See Backing up and Restoring the Database.
- (Optional) Modify the hosts file on test endpoints so that they connect to Server B. Confirm that Server B is managing the endpoints. See Modifying Endpoint Hosts Files.
- Contact Fortinet Customer Service & Support to migrate the EMS license to Server B. See Migrating the EMS License to Server B.
- Change the DNS record to redirect all endpoints to Server B. See Changing the DNS Record.
- Ensure that all endpoints are connected to Server B. See Connecting Endpoints to Server B.