You can view and upgrade the FortiAP unit firmware from the FortiGate unit that acts as its WiFi controller.
To view the list of FortiAP units that the FortiGate unit manages, go to WiFi & Switch Controller > Managed FortiAPs. The OS Version column shows the current firmware version running on each AP.
You can upgrade the FortiAP firmware using either the GUI or the CLI. Only the CLI method can update all FortiAP units at once.
- Go to WiFi & Switch Controller > Managed FortiAPs.
- Right-click the FortiAP unit in the list and select Upgrade.
Click the row of the FortiAP that you want to upgrade, and click Edit. In Firmware, click Upgrade.
- Upgrade using FortiGuard, or select Browse and locate the firmware upgrade file.
- Click Upgrade.
- When the upgrade process completes, select OK.
The FortiAP unit restarts.
- Upload the FortiAP image to the FortiGate unit.
For example, the Firmware file is FAP_22A_v4.3.0_b0212_fortinet.out and the server IP address is 192.168.0.100.
execute wireless-controller upload-wtp-image tftp FAP_22A_v4.3.0_b0212_fortinet.out 192.168.0.100
If your server is FTP, change
ftp, and if necessary add your user name and password at the end of the command.
- Verify that the image is uploaded:
execute wireless-controller list-wtp-image
- Upgrade the FortiAP units:
exec wireless-controller reset-wtp all
If you want to upgrade only one FortiAP unit, enter its serial number instead of
You can connect to a FortiAP unit’s internal CLI to update its firmware from a TFTP server on the same network. This method does not require access to the wireless controller.
- Place the FortiAP firmware image on a TFTP server on your computer.
- Connect the FortiAP unit to a separate private switch or hub or directly connect to your computer via a cross-over cable.
- Change your computer IP address to 192.168.1.3.
- Using SSH, connect to IP address 192.168.1.2.
This IP address is overwritten if the FortiAP is connected to a DHCP environment. Ensure that the FortiAP unit is in a private network with no DHCP server.
- Login with the username “admin” and no password.
- Enter the following command.
For example, the FortiAP image file name is FAP_22A_v4.3.0_b0212_fortinet.out.
restore FAP_22A_v4.3.0_b0212_fortinet.out 192.168.1.3