Use this procedure to capture packets on a FortiAP device. Packet captures help you diagnose and troubleshoot FortiAP device problems in a FortiAP Cloud deployment. Capturing packets can affect device performance because the capture can collect large amounts of data. We recommend capturing packets when required only.
The packet capture includes the following information:
- No.: The packet number.
- Time: The start time of the packet capture with the format yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.
- Source: The IP address of the device that is sending the packet.
- Destination: The IP address of the device that is receiving the packet.
- Length: The length of each packet in bytes.
Info: Additional information about the packet such as Control and Provisioning of Wireless Access Points (CAPWAP) control messages. For example, wireless termination points (WTP) information such as the following events:
- WTP Event Response
- WTP Event Request
- In Menu bar, click Access Points.
- In the Navigation pane, click Edit View.
- In the table, locate the FortiAP device for which you want to capture packets. At the end of that row, click on the Tools tab and select Capture Packet.
- To stop the packet capture, click Stop.
- To download the packet capture, click Download PCAP.
The <FortiAP_name> (Capturing) dialog opens.