Adding a FortiAP device to FortiAP Cloud without a key
If the FortiAP device is an older model that does not have a sticker with the FortiAP Cloud key, then use this procedure to add the FortiAP device to your FortiAP Cloud account.
Take note of the model name and number of your AP and the firmware version you need to upgrade to (see Recommended FortiAP firmware version).
- Download the FortiAP firmware:
- Start a web browser and visit the Fortinet Support website.
- Log in to your account.
- Click Download > Firmware Images.
- In Select Product, select the AP product to upgrade.
- Click the Download tab.
- Navigate to the firmware image file that you want to download. For example FAP_224D-v6-build0037-FORTINET.out.
- To save that firmware image file to your computer, go to the end of the row, click HTTPS, and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Take note of the path where you save the firmware image file.
- Upgrade and configure the FortiAP device:
- Connect your computer to the FortiAP Ethernet port.
- The default IP address of the FortiAP device is 192.168.1.2. If your computer does not have an IP address on the same subnet, change the IP address of your computer to 192.168.1.3.
- Start a web browser and connect to https://192.168.1.2.
- Log in to the FortiAP UI as admin. Leave the Password field empty.
- In the Status section, go to Firmware Version and click Update.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to load and apply the firmware file.
- When you see the message "Uploading file is done. Firmware updating.", click OK, and close the web browser.
- After the upgrade is complete, start a web browser and connect to https://192.168.1.2.
- In the WTP Configuration section, go to AC Discovery Type and select FortiCloud.
- Type the name and password of your FortiAP Cloud account.
- Click Apply.
- Disconnect your computer from the FortiAP Ethernet port.
- Restore your computer to its normal network configuration.
- Using an Ethernet cable, connect the FortiAP device to a network that allows internet access.
- Check FortiAP Cloud for the newly added FortiAP device:
- Log in to FortiCloud and connect to FortiAP Cloud.
- On the Home page, click Inventory.
- Make sure that the list includes the newly added FortiAP device.
- You can now go to the Adding a FortiAP network to FortiAP Cloud procedure.