This guide provides sample configuration of a vMotion FortiAnalyzer-VM in a VMware environment. VMware vMotion enables the live migration of a running FortiAnalyzer-VM from one physical server to another with zero downtime, continuous service availability, and complete transaction integrity. It also provides transparency to users.
The following depicts the network topology for this sample deployment. In this sample deployment, there are two hosts, Host 48 (100.64.30.48) and Host 50 (100.64.30.50), that are members of Cluster 1 in the DataCenter 1. The vCenter server (vcenter67.faz.lab) manages DataCenter 1.
The following prerequisites must be met for this configuration:
- The vCenter server has been set up and the data center and cluster have been created.
- Host 48 and Host 50 are members of the cluster.
- A Gigabit Ethernet network interface card with a VMkernel port enabled for vMotion exists on both ESXi hosts.
- A FortiAnalyzer-VM that is set up and able to handle traffic.
- Log into the vCenter web portal.
- Verify the current location of the FortiAnalyzer-VM:
- Go to the FortiAnalyzer-VM.
- On the Summary tab, check the Host. In this example, the host is currently Host 48 (100.64.30.48).
- Go to Storage > Files. Check that the FortiAnalyzer-VM is located in the correct datastore. In this example, the datastore is currently Datastore 48, in Host 48.
- Right-click the FortiAnalyzer-VM and select Migrate.
- Configure the migration options:
- For Select a migration type, select Change both compute resource and storage. Click NEXT.
- For Select a compute resource, select the desired new compute resource. In this example, Host 50 (100.64.30.50) is selected. Click NEXT.
- For Select storage, select the storage associated with the selected compute resource. In this example, Datastore 50 (as corresponds to Host 50) is selected. Click NEXT.
- For Select networks, select the desired destination network at the selected compute resource. In this example, the source network is at Host 48, and the destination network is at Host 50. Click NEXT.
- For Select vMotion priority, select Schedule vMotion with high priority (recommended). Click NEXT.
Before initiating the migration, open the CLI for the FortiAnalyzer-VM to check on traffic during the migration. Enter
diagnose sniffer packet any 'icmp and host 184.108.40.206'to check if traffic is stable.
- Click FINISH.
After a few seconds, the FortiAnalyzer-VM is migrated to the new compute resources, in this case Host 50.
- Log into the vCenter web portal. Go to the FortiAnalyzer-VM. On the Summary tab, the Host is now the new compute resources, in this case Host 50 (100.64.30.50).
- Go to Storage > Files. It shows that the FortiAnalyzer-VM is now located in a new datastore, in this example Datastore 50.